Sunday, February 25, 2007

Week Twentyone - MacroWAC

Let me be a bit more comprehensive - 1 presentation, 1 WAC and 1 disappointment. These all are discrete events.

Apart from the routine of classes and studies, this week started with our learning team's presentation on the report we submitted last week about IT systems and their benefit to a retail business. As a team, we did very well. Individually, of the 2 questions that came my way, I handled 1.5 - I am a bit disappointed in myself. Now we go on to choose individual suggestions and write more about them - individually.

We had the Macroeconomics Analysis & Business Environment WAC. This was fun - and I mean FUN. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. We were supposed to submit a report on the current macroeconomic state of a country of our choice (given some constraints), comment on issues facing it and come up with policy recommendations. I doubt if any of us would be considered qualified for this - most Chief Economic Advisors, Governors of Central Banks and such luminaries have multiple PhDs and years of study and teaching and practice under their belt. However, despite this obvious shortcoming, we dug up data on countries, looked at what can happen, analysed this (after all, we are MBA students, analysis is what we do!) and came up with some general some specific policy guidelines. I am proud to say that our reports should stand up to good and thorough scrutiny by the abovementioned luminaries, and am equally sure that the grades we get will be a bit of a disappointment. After all, there is only so much you can write in a given word limit!

The real disappointment came before the WAC, but concerned something that we had planned for after the WAC. It was to have included people from the MBA and MSc courses, I had done a fair amount of spadework, somebody else had put in more effort than all of us in preparation, and we had to call it off. We tried not to do so till the last possible minute. I felt miserable when I had to inform about the cancellation. But that is life. Have to take it and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment