Sunday, January 21, 2007

Week Sixteen - A bit windy

The week started with Business Law - a likeable old man talking about origins of law and taking us through to Tort - all in a neat, interesting way. He enjoys what he does, and it comes through in his teaching.

The next day - 16th January 2007, was our Project Management examination. One hour, multiple choice, involving creating timelines and questions based on what you did. It was a good paper, and given that me and my team had taken our eyes off the ball, this time I rechecked every step and still finished in time. Nobody told me project management teaches you time management, but hey, in a time pressure environment, I never would have thought that I would spend time on checking that I had laid down the basics correctly. I am confident that I shall not err, and the rechecking confirmed that I hadn't, but it still was worth the time.

We have moved on with the subjects, two weeks covers a lot of ground, and subjects like Strategic Management and Macro Economic Analysis are reaching points where I am getting more and more involved. I went through Maverick, Ricardo Semler's book on how he created what he calls the world's most unusual workplace. It isn't a course book, just interesting reading. Unusual it certainly is, and the concepts he puts forward add to the discussion during People Management classes.

Towards the end of the week, Europe was hit with a storm, I am sure you know about that. Nothing terrible happened (that I know of) in the vast open flat land that surrounds Cranfield, lots of strong wind, part of a tree was sheared that fell on the roof of a parked car near my house, but no serious damage. Just like the week was for me, fast, lots of work, exam in the morning, lectures in the afternoon... fast paced, a bit windy, just the way I like it.

1 comment: